Practice Relating to Rule 78. Exploding Bullets
South Africa’s Revised Civic Education Manual (2004) states:
i. Prohibited Weapons. The following weapons have been prohibited:
(1) Explosive Projectiles Under 400g. St. Petersburg Declaration renouncing their use in 1868.
South Africa’s LOAC Teaching Manual (2008) states:
3. Means and Methods of Warfare
Several specific weapons are governed by specific treaties. These treaties establish two categories of weapons, to wit[:]
- Weapons of which the use is totally prohibited; and
- Weapons of which the use is permitted under certain conditions.
Weapons of which the Use is Totally Prohibited
- Projectiles of a weight below 400 grams, which are either explosive or charged with detonating or inflammable substances. (St. Petersburg Declaration dated 11 December 168.)