Practice Relating to Rule 52. Pillage
Ukraine’s IHL Manual (2004) states:
1.3.2. The following methods of warfare shall be prohibited:
- letting centres of population or localities be plundered.
1.8.6. Serious violations directed against property include the following acts if they are not justified by military necessity:
- destruction or plunder of an enemy property;
- permitting pillaging of a town or place.
The manual further states that, in non-international armed conflicts, the act of “plunder”, or threats of such action, against the following persons is prohibited:
- persons taking no active part in the hostilities;
- members of armed forces who have laid down their arms;
- those placed hors de combat
by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause.
Pursuant to Ukraine’s Criminal Code (2001), “pillage committed in respect of the local population in an operational zone” is a war crime.