Practice Relating to Rule 115. Disposal of the Dead
Section D. Burial in individual or collective graves
South Africa’s LOAC Teaching Manual (2008) states:
Search for Casualties
 Geneva Convention I article 15 stipulates that the Parties to the conflict must, at all times, particularly after an engagement, without delay, take all possible measures to[:]
- search for the dead and prevent their being despoiled.
Burial of the Dead
- Bodies must, wherever possible, be buried in separate graves.
Search for Casualties (Article 18  Geneva Convention II)
- After every engagement at sea all possible measures must be taken to search for and collect the dead, wounded, sick and shipwrecked.
- Burial of the Dead
- Burial can take place at sea (individually if circumstances permit).
- If the bodies are brought ashore, the prescriptions of Geneva Convention I, regarding burial at land, will apply.