Practice Relating to Rule 116. Accounting for the Dead
Section A. Identification of the dead prior to disposal
Ukraine’s IHL Manual (2004) states:
184.108.40.206. … Measures to search for, collect, identify and bury the dead shall be organized as soon as the situation permits. Those measures shall be aimed at the … identification of the dead …
220.127.116.11. … During [the] identification process in [cases when] the relevant information is present (documents, identification disc or distinctive medallion), detailed lists of the deceased shall be made. Such lists shall include:
- nationality of the servicemen;
- military or personal number;
- surname, first name and patronymic;
- date of birth;
- other particulars shown on the ID card or identification disc;
- date and place of death;
- information relating to the character of injury (mutilation), illness and cause of death.
If identification proves to be impossible, if circumstances permit, the following actions shall be performed in order to enable his/her identification in future: a description of appearance of the deceased, printing of fingers and palms, photograph (full-face and half-face).