Practice Relating to Rule 109. Search for, Collection and Evacuation of the Wounded, Sick and Shipwrecked
Côte d’Ivoire’s Teaching Manual (2007) provides in Book I (Basic instruction):
I.1 Basic rules
[Basic Rule No. 5]:
Collect, protect and care for the wounded, shipwrecked and sick, whether they be friends, enemies or civilians.
- The wounded, shipwrecked and sick enemies no longer take part in combat.
- As human beings, they are in need of assistance and protection.
I.2 Specific rules
Enemy combatants in distress
6. Search and collect shipwrecked enemies.
Wounded enemy combatants
7. Collect them when the situation allows.
9. Hand them over to the closest medical personnel or to your superior.
The manual provides in Book II (Instruction of non-commissioned officers and officers):
I.2 Duties of the non-commissioned officer or officer
After the action, he must:
- evacuate wounded friends and enemies towards the superior units.